Before getting a massage, there are a couple of things you SHOULD do:
- Drink some extra water the day before the massage. (But you don’t necessarily want to drink lots of water JUST before the massage, because then you might have to pee and will have to get up during the massage).
- Arrive on time for your massage, and schedule your appointment so that you have plenty of time to get there. Don’t get there all stressed out because you needed to rush through traffic – even before a massage, you should be able to relax and “let go” of the everyday stress.
- Get a massage directly after your workout, because your muscles will already be warmed up.
- Communicate with your massage therapist. If you don’t like something – tell him or her. If you do like something you can also let him or her know. And if you have gotten a massage before and the previous massage therapist did something that made you feel really good – tell your new massage therapist about it too.
- If you have any medical conditions, tell your massage therapist before he starts massaging you.
- Stretch your muscles after your massage.
- Be sure hat you have a eaten a bit so you won’t feel starving on the massage table. But even more important: don’t overeat! It’s best to not eat anything two hours before a massage, and if you do, just make it something light, like a yogurth, some veggies…